Recipe of Hyderabadi Dum Ka Murgh
Whole chicken marinated leisurely in a host of spices along with cashews, chironji and fried onions. It is slow-cooked ‘dum style’.
- 1 chicken, whole cut-up
- 2 Tbsp cashew nuts
- 1 Tbsp chironji or buchanania lanzan
- 1 cup sour curd, well beaten
- 1 cup deep fried onion
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 2 Tbsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 2-3 green chilli, chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp shahi jeera
- 4-5 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5-7 cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp ghee or clarified butter
- Whole wheat or atta dough
- Salt, to taste
How to Make Hyderabadi Dum Ka Murgh
- Add cashew nuts and chironji in a spice grinder and dry grind them to make a fine powder. Take the ground nuts out of the grinder and put aside.
- Now add cumin and coriander seeds and make a fine powder with them. Keep it aside.
- In a large non-stick pan, add chicken, nut powder, curd, fried onion, ginger-garlic paste, chopped chillies, chopped mint and cilantro, turmeric, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, cloves, shahi jeera, lemon juice, salt, vegetable oil and ghee in the pan. Mix well.
- Leave the marinated chicken in the pan for at least 2 to 4 hours.
- After 4 hours take the lid off the pan and seal it with the atta dough and put the pan on medium heat to cook the chicken for at least 35 to 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, turn off the heat but do not open the lid. Leave the chicken as it is for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes cut the seal and open the lid.
- Chicken is ready. Serve hot with rice or any Indian bread.